East Kent Railway (EKR) is a short heritage railway located at Shepherdswell train station, operated entirely by volunteers and once part of a large network of coal mines. It was constructed by entrepreneur Col. Stephens and between 1911 and 1917 was used to serve local coal mines and transport munitions during the war. Visitors are today able to ride on restored heritage trains between the Dover villages of Shepherdswell and Eythorne. The EKR visitor centre is located in the original signal box on the Shepherdswell station platform, featuring the original station controls, a model of the railway’s last mainline station, and information boards detailing the history of the railway from its formation in 1911 to its closure in 1948. There is also a working miniature railway. Its current collection of WW1 objects includes a Royal Navy torpedo wagon and a powder magazine transporter, as well as barbed wire, cap badges and army records of goods transported in and out of Kent via the railway.
Further information can be found at: http://www.eastkentrailway.co.uk/
Opening times: most Sundays except during winter months (limited service) – check website for timetable and special events.