All partner museums

The partner museums and heritage venues are: Aylesham Heritage Centre Dover Museum Dover Transport Museum Deal Town PWRR Queen’s Museum East Kent Railway Sandwich Guildhall St Margaret’s Western Heights White Mill Rural Heritage Centre Associated Artists: Marcia Teusink and Rosie James Associated Project: Drawing and Stitching Workshops

Dover Museum (archives)

One of the oldest museums in Kent (and the largest in the district), Dover Museum traces the development of the historic town and port of Dover.The addition of the major Dover Bronze Age Boat Gallery recounts the excavation and preservation of the Dover Boat – the world’s oldest known seagoing boat – alongside exploring major themes of

Dover Museum

One of the oldest museums in Kent (and the largest in the district), Dover Museum traces the development of the historic town and port of Dover.The addition of the major Dover Bronze Age Boat Gallery recounts the excavation and preservation of the Dover Boat – the world’s oldest known seagoing boat – alongside exploring major themes of

White Mill Rural Heritage Centre

White Mill Rural Heritage Centre houses the White Mill, a smock mill located in Sandwich that was built in 1760 and restored between 1960 and 1981. Whilst not a working windmill, it is a rare survival of a complete milling site, retaining its original wooden machinery, outbuildings and a furnished miller’s cottage. The public is able

Western Heights

The Western Heights of Dover is a series of forts, strong points and ditches which together form the largest Napoleonic fortress in Britain, first developed in 1804 to protect the country and the port of Dover from invasion. They were an essential base for the British Army throughout the nineteenth century and a vast training ground

St Margaret’s

The St Margaret’s Museum, created in memory of Fred Cleary CBE, houses a programme of changing displays on environmental themes, World War Two and local history of the surrounding area and population, including Ian Fleming and Noel Coward. Its collection includes wartime postcards, photos and records of locally found medals and the WW1 amputees’ embroideries. St

East Kent Railway

East Kent Railway (EKR) is a short heritage railway located at Shepherdswell train station, operated entirely by volunteers and once part of a large network of coal mines. It was constructed by entrepreneur Col. Stephens and between 1911 and 1917 was used to serve local coal mines and transport munitions during the war. Visitors are today

PWRR & Queen’s Regiment Museum

The Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment & Queen’s Regiment Museum is located in Dover Castle. Its collections and exhibits trace the regiment’s distinguished history from 1572 right through to the present day, with interactive sound and visual displays including photographs, paintings, weapons, badges, medals, uniforms, regimental regalia, interactive videos and recordings.The museum is part of the

Dover Transport Museum

Dover Transport Museum houses a collection of vintage transport and transport models of all types, aiming to help preserve the transport heritage of Dover and further afield. Its main attractions include a large range of historic road vehicles (from bicycles to buses), maritime history displays, model railways and railway memorabilia, model cars and ships, and a

Sandwich Guildhall

Sandwich Guildhall, built in 1579, holds the administration offices of the Town Clerk as well as an extensive library containing significant historical archival material relating to the history of Sandwich and Kent. The Guildhall Museum charts the town’s past from early medieval times with illustrated panels and artefacts dating back to the 13th century, including

Deal Town Council

The Council consists of fifteen Councillors, some of whom are also Dover District Councillors, all elected every four years. The Mayor is a Councillor elected annually by the members of the Council. The town is divided into three wards, Mill Hill, North Deal and Middle Deal, with Councillors representing each ward. Associated Artist: Colin Priest. Associated

Aylesham Heritage Centre

Set up and run voluntarily by members of East Kent’s ex-miners’ community, Aylesham Heritage Centre stores and archives the history of the Kent coalfield. The village of Aylesham was built in the 1920s to accommodate workers of the nearby Snowdown colliery, one of the four main collieries (alongside Tilmanstone, Betteshanger and Chislet) to be established